Senate Bill 326, which adds five million dollars to North Carolina’s JDIG fund, has passed the Senate and is now moving through the House of Representatives. JDIG is a program that provides grants to new and expanding businesses in North Carolina to help recruit new commerce and jobs. Companies applying for this grant must meet a rigorous set of criteria. From JDIG’s official site, the criteria is listed below:
- The project results in a net increase in employment.
- The project increases opportunities for employment and strengthen the state’s economy.
- The project is consistent with the economic development goals of the state and of the area in which it is located.
- The project is competitive with another state(s) or country.
- The grant is necessary for the completion of the project in North Carolina.
I was a primary sponsor of this bill, along with Senator Rick Gunn and Senator Tom Apodaca. This is an economic development initiative which will benefit all of North Carolina.